There are portable stereos, tv’s, and other kinds of electronics that make life easier. Nowadays, practically anything that positively affects the quality of life is made portable or compact. This goes for your heating and cooling system, too. Portable heaters operate similarly to portable AC. But will a portable AC unit efficiency cool the room it’s in?
The Many Faces of Central Air
There are at least 8 types of AC units that you can choose for your home or business.
- Geothermal –The geothermal air conditioning system is a heating and cooling system. It is a fairly new system that utilizes the insulation properties of the earth’s temperature, about 6 feet below ground.
- Smart Air – This system uses air conditioning from your portable, window, or mini split that is connected to the Wi-Fi within your home, and provides control through a smartphone app. These air conditioning units can come with geofencing, temperature range control, and even weekly scheduling, among other things, depending on the manufacturer.
- Central Air – This is the most basic type of air conditioning that’s best suited for larger homes with multiple rooms. A central air system regulates air through ducts, and is a combination of two main units. You will find one unit outdoors, most likely in a back or side yard, while the other unit is fixed indoors, up higher towards the ceiling.
- Window Units – Window units come in different sizes, and can be considered portable if you’re looking to cool a single room or a small area. It is very simple in terms of cooling the air, as it is fixed to one specific room that it’s located in. These cost less, require less maintenance, are simple to install, and easy to maintain.
- Portable ACs – Portable air conditioning units are similar to the window AC units. They are free-standing and can be moved easily from room to room. These units require power outlets and access to a window.
- Hybrid Units – Hybrid units are combinations of gas with an electric air source. They are cost-effective and energy efficient, and maximize the indoor quality while maintaining energy efficiency.
- Floor mounted AC units – These are easily installed and great for small areas that don’t take up too much space. Floor mounted air conditioners are easy to maintain, and the heat and cool the air quickly through the help of a built-in fan.
- Ductless Unit – Ductless units are mini split air conditioners for those who don’t want to use the duct system. They are compact and are usually mounted on a wall in any room of your home. They are simple to operate and easy to maintain.
How a Portable AC Works
Let’s look a little further into portable AC units and how they may benefit your home or workspace. Portable air conditioners are just that – portable! The ability to move this unit from one room to the other is a simple luxury to take advantage of. It is a self-contained device that only needs a window and a socket to work efficiently.
Because portable AC units are smaller and more condensed, they are composed of basic components, including: a fan, a condenser, an evaporator coil, refrigerant, and a compressor. They are large enough to do the job for one room, however they may not pull heat from other rooms efficiently. Their cost is relatively low, and they are easy to move and install. The downside of portable AC units is that they need manual drainage and are not as energy efficient as other units. Portable air conditioners need maintenance much like traditional units. Their filters and vents need cleaning monthly or bi-weekly, depending on how often you use them. The water reservoir should be drained frequently to prevent mold and bacteria.
Before you buy a portable AC unit, check with a professional to see if it’ll efficiently do the job. The professionals at Air Temp Air Conditioning are licensed and insured to offer the best replacement unit and AC maintenance for your residential or commercial business. Contact them today for financial options!